Saturday, March 12, 2011

ShadowStorm: Chap. 1





The town was a bright, colorful placed filled with people who were just as exhuberantly hued. Many of the residents I came in contact with regarded me with a bit of wariness.


I had no place to go and practically no money to my name. I came to this town with the knowledge that my great-uncle had a small house he had left to my family years ago. I had never dreamed that I would need to rely on anyone besides myself. That feeling struck a nerve, in my overly confident proclivities.

Hailing a taxi, I gave the colorful gentleman the directions to the house I was to own. We drove for a few minutes when he said, "Here we are buddy. That'll be 28.75." 



Grumbling at such a fee for only a few minutes driving, I paid the man, stepped out of the taxi and looked at my new home. This had got to be the ugliest "house" I've ever seen. "House" was even too good a word for it. "Shack" would have been a better term. I sighed and made my way to the front door grumbling and cursing my misfortune.


"I wonder how bad the inside looks." I thought to myself. I stepped in the front door and was hit with the most pungent odor. Gasping, I pulled my shirt up over my nose to no avail. That smell of age and dust, was like a slap to the face. I quickly set about opening up the two window this "house" sported and the backdoor as well. Soon a cool breeze wafted in and began to clear away the pervasive aromas.

Once the atmosphere in the house became more agreeable, I set about making an inventory of my available assets. I had a bed...that's good, I guess..no doubt the sheets would have to burned...mattress too at that. I groaned at the thoughts of what could be making a home in its padding.









I had a small table with a singular chair, a mini fridge and a toilet that hadn't seen clean in ages. With a heavy sigh, I began to make a list of things I would need.

No comments:

Post a Comment