Sunday, March 13, 2011

Chapter 2

A Friend in Need


Whoever said money can’t buy you happiness was so right. My name is Elizabeth Renfield. You might know my father, Charles Renfield.






He is the CEO of the BWAN Speedster Corp. They make those expensive cars you see everyone downtown driving.







It’s just Father and I since Mom passed away. She’s been gone for 7 years now. She died when I was born, so I never really knew her. Father says I look just like her. I wish I had known her. She seems so lovely and nice.

 

Father is very busy at the office. He is always going over ledgers and such, so he rarely has time to see me.







Father can never find time for me. I sometimes wonder if he remembers he has a daughter.







I go to the Riverview Elementary School. I really enjoy my class and the teacher is very nice.








Some days I just stay at the playground after school lets out so I don’t have to go home right away. I love being outside the blue sky, the fresh, clean breeze on your face sounds of happy children playing at the nearby park. It makes me forget about things that are happening in my life for awhile at least.







 Of course once it starts to grow darker, I must head home. Not like Father will notice, but I don’t want to worry Melanie.



Melanie is our live in maid and my Nanny. She has been with us since Mother’s death.







 She has been a second “mother” to me and she has been a wonderful friend. I don’t know what I would have done without her in my life.















One of my favorite hobbies is to paint. Melanie has really encouraged me to continue pursuing what I love to do.








Father says it’s a silly hobby and I should set my sights on something a bit more practical and useful for my future. He wants me to take over the company when I am older, but that’s not what I want to do.




But, he doesn’t know me. As the months and years go by I feel like him and I are drifting farther and farther apart.







On a happier note, Melanie has offered to take me to the Hands of Mercy Community Center in town.  It was provided by Darius Washington, a famous music producer, so she tells me.






 It should be fun. I do hope there are other kids there.  I would love to meet some new kids. It would be such fun to clown around with children my own age.



We got there about 2:30. It was kind of empty. I guess no one knows about it yet. There was strange little boy there wearing a tuxedo.






I am not a shy person I went over to him and offered him a warm greeting. We seemed to get along well. He told me his name was Lance.  We chatted about this and that. It was so refreshing talking to someone else for a change.







We chatted for what seemed like hours until Melanie said it was time to head back home, since I still had school in the morning. I said goodbye to Lance and we were on our way.




I went home and did some stargazing and wondered if other kids were out there seeing the same stars I was.







  What their lives must be like. Did they have mothers who tuck them in at night? Mothers who cover their faces in kisses and hug them like their afraid to let go? These thoughts made me sad and I desperately missed my mom.



I wish I could go to Father with this sadness and he would hold me and say, “Everything is alright my Lizzie, I love you and I’ll never let you go. You can always count on me.” I sat down on the bench near our pond and soon fell asleep with these dreams dancing in my head.



No comments:

Post a Comment