Sunday, March 27, 2011

Chapter 7

I was enjoying my kids newfound independence, well able to entertain themselves at any rate.





 It was nice not having to get up at all hours of the night to feed or comfort some crying child. They were actually very good sleepers now, and rarely woke up before we did.

Azalea was in mommy heaven teaching them how to walk and talk. When I wasn't busy at work I would sit down with them myself.







Work kept me occupied at the later parts of the day. It was a great job...I got to meet new and interesting people..plus the added "perks" of dealing out your own bonuses was nice.

I had gotten two promotions and was well on my way to a third. At my last review, my physique was brought into question. I like to think I am a fit guy, but every month we have to run an obstacle course. One, to stay in shape. Two, to keep our reflexes sharp. I guess I had been slacking on the "stay in shape" part. My final time was 20 minutes and 10 seconds. Not near as fast as I had once been. This made the boss wary of my ability to evade authorities.

So, it looks like I won't be getting that promotion until I work on my fitness more. This meant more time at the gym. I really hated that place. Everyone always wants to come over and talk to you, like we are best friends or something. I swear, this place is way too cheery. If I could afford it, I'd get my own stuff at home.





One morning in place of the gym, I got up early to jog a few miles. It was quiet, and still relatively dark out. I figured this would be the perfect chance to exercise and not be bothered.

After an invigorating run and some 2 hours later, I had worked a large sweat and an even larger appetite. I made my way back home. Azalea was out in the garden, as usual, with Kobi and Orchid playing happily near her. As much as she loved to be outside, she still wanted her kids to be near her, so she could keep an eye on them. Kobi was a good kid, sometimes, but that evil streak was unpredictable.

-------------------------

Well, Kobi and Orchid have mastered the art of walking. I thought that'd be a great thing. now they are into everything! Cupboards, the toilet, my room! That is where I flipped.

First of all, that room is much to dangerous for them to be in. Second, it's MY ROOM! My one place to get away from everything.

Let me explain.... I woke up early one morning. I was about to start my morning jog, when I heard some giggling coming from my "cave". I normally keep the door locked, so I was curious to find out who could be in there. I found my "darling" children playing with pieces of scrap metal, they had managed to drag out the little soldering iron I kept on the table.

I was enraged! "GET OUT OF HERE NOW!" I bellowed.

The kids turned around in shock, since they hadn't heard me enter the room. At my sudden outburst, they both erupted into uncontrollably sobs.

"You can cry all you want, I don't care! It's much too be dangerous for you to be in here! Not get out!"

Azalea, upon hearing my yells and the kids crying, came running to see what all the commotion was about.

"What is going on here?!" She cried.

"You need to keep a better eye on these kids! This room is to be kept locked." I yelled.

She quickly gathered up the crying children and bustled them out of the room. All the while glaring at me.

Once the kids were settled down and playing in the living room, she came to talk to me.

"How dare you talk to me like that!" She cried.

I stood there, surprised that she would raise her voice to me. She had never shown any form of aggression.





"Do you have any idea, what kinds of dangers are in here? They could be cut or burned." I managed to respond calmly. "If I have to, I will be a dead bolt for this door, since it appears you have no control over these kids."

She drew in a gasp of breath, "I am with these kids all day long. While you are out "working". So, I slept in. I am sorry, but you could be doing a little bit more around here yourself! These are your kids too and it wouldn't kill you to be involved more."

I couldn't take it anymore. If I stayed there I was going to do or say something I would regret.

"I'm going out for a bit." I stated as I stormed out. "Before we both do something we'll hate ourselves for later. I'll be back later."

"Where do you think you're going?!" She cried out after me.

I had no real destination in mind. I was just running on pure adrenaline. in a sick sort of way, this rush of energy felt good. I was fired up and looking for a fight.

I found myself going to the park. There were always people there and it was late afternoon. And then I saw him.



"What are you looking at?" I said maliciously.

He looked around, uncertain as to who I was referring too. "Who me?" he wondered.

"Yeah you! You got a problem with me?" I smirked.

"Uh, no." He stammered, visibly shaken.

"Good. Get out of my face!" I yelled.

The man quickly scampered away relieved to be out of my presence.

I laid claim to an empty chess table and played a quiet game by myself. As my mind focused on the pieces moving about the board, my heartbeat began to slow and I felt a calm rush over me. The calm was soon replaced with guilt. I treated Azalea badly. Once again, my Hot headed nature wins again and I lose.

When I arrived home, she was sitting on the sofa reading a book. A new wave of guilt washed over me.

"Honey..." I said.

She jumped in her seat and shot me glaring eye. "You scared me! Don't sneak up on a person like that."

"I'm sorry...about everything. I shouldn't have blown up like that." I said grabbing a hold of her hands in mine. "You do so much around here, and I apologize if I take that for granted."

"Well, what you said hurt a lot. But, I accept your apology. And I will make it a point to keep the kids out of this area from now one. We can get one of those little gates and pit it between the doorway."

"That sounds great." I said.

I pulled her close to me and hugged her. The smell of her hair and the warmth of her body began to stir something inside me.

"So....you wanna go to bed?" I mentioned slyly.

"Why, Mr. Shadowstorm are you trying to seduce me?" She responded coyly.

I picked her up and led her to the bedroom where we shed our misgivings as well as our clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment