Sunday, March 13, 2011

Chapter 3

First Love


It had been months since Mom’s death. Dad had been taking it well. He had  gotten himself back to working.





 Dad still worked on the farm and did minor repairs around town for the neighbors. Gretchen and Ezekiel were still at home helping with the other household chores. That meant I spent less and less time at home.


This was the year my life changed again, this time for the better. I had been attending Riverview Elementary School. I had begun to make some friends that year. I was happy to have somewhere to go and not have to be at home.















Lance was a very strange friend, but he always kept us entertained with his fun stories and peculiar antics.






Then there was Andre. His parents were rich and he wanted everyone to know it. He liked to talk about himself a lot, but I enjoyed his company. He was a very good friend to me.





Another great friend was Shuang. He was very nice and he liked some of the old sc-fi stories we read in our comics. He was very creative too. I liked him.







 Then, there was Elizabeth. If angels walked on Earth, she was one of them. I really believed God put here in my life to help with some of the pain losing Mom had caused.  Her father is the boss of some big car maker. She seemed so sad all the time. I was always much too nervous to talk to her and my stomach always flipped and flopped whenever I got near her. Dad said I had a crush on her. At the time I thought he was crazy. I mean all boys grew up believing that girls had had cooties.  So, I never told the guys how I felt. They might laugh at me.












I remember one field trip we had gone on.  It was a chance for us to visit the Hands of Mercy Community Center.  All my friends were going so I begged Dad if he’d let me go too. He happily signed the permission slip. He knew how miserable I had been at home and thought it would be good for me to get out and hang around some kids my own age.




The trip was planned for Saturday morning. Dad said had to get my chores done before I could go. You’ve never seen a boy do his chores so fast, as I had done them that day.  So, I quickly took out the garbage, made my bed and did the dishes in the sink and rushed out the door, rode my bike as fast as my legs would take me.  There was no way I was going to be late.







I was amazed at how large the place really was.  There were beds, swings, places to paint, books and books to read. There were even computer stations to play video games and best of all no evil aunts to yell at you. A boy could live there forever and be really happy.






Lance and Shoang wanted to have a painting contest. I was a horrible painter, I was lucky to make a stick man look right, but it was fun. Lizzie, she was a natural. Her picture was really, really good. We declared her the winner, hands down.










We were all having a good time, when this big kid showed up. I had seen him around the school before. He took little kids lunch money; threw their books on the floor, tripped ‘em. He was just a really mean kid.






  I knew there was going to be trouble; he just had that look about him. His name is Damien Shade. He had a real mean streak and the fact that he hated little kids didn’t help. Maybe he didn’t get hugged enough as a child...  Who knows why?


He focused in on Shuang first, making fun of his shirt, calling him a Trekkie nerd.









 When he got started there’s nothing you can do. I mean, he was bigger than us. We were just little guys. Still, someone had to stand up to him someday. There’s always a bigger fish, right?



 It wasn’t too long he noticed Lizzie painting innocently at the easel. He went up to her and knocked it down. Paints went everywhere. All over her skirt and shoes. She was scared and looked like she was ready to cry.











I couldn’t bear to see her looking like that. I don’t know what came over me…courage or insanity...You decide, but I ran over to her and stood right in front of him.  “LEAVE HER ALONE!” I yelled. I was hoping he wouldn’t hear the trembling in my voice or that I didn’t sound as scared as I felt, but I couldn’t help it.









 He wasn’t going to hurt Lizzie. All the other kids heard me yelling and came running over. They all stood next to me and Lizzie and they too started yelling at these bullies, “GO ON, GET OUT OF HERE!””Oohhh big man, picking on a little girl!” Lance started strutting around like a chicken making clucking noises. Looking back we must have looked like fools.




 One of the teachers that had accompanied us on the trip came over to see what the commotion was about. Damien, upon seeing the teacher on her way said,”Nah. You pipsqueaks aren’t worth my time.” And with that he left.



Wow! I have never been so scared in all my life. I thought for sure was going to mop up the floor with me. Lizzie was so happy with me and my bravery that she hugged me. She hugged me!






 And I was glad she did. All the other kids were patting me on the back, cheering me. I felt like a Hero. If only Mom could see me now. She’d be so proud of me.



Teacher said it was time we got back to the school our parents would be showing up soon to pick us up.



 Lizzie sat next to me on the bus. She said I could call her at home if I ever needed someone to talk to.






After that day, we have been best friends since. Our friendship continued into our teens, and into our young adulthood.









 She is my best friend and without her love and support I don’t think I would be the man I am today. I still get the stomach flops when she is near. She is my angel and I think I love her…

No comments:

Post a Comment