Saturday, June 18, 2011

Chapter 16: The Good...

“This last year has been so fabulous, Wes.” Liz replied one night while eating dinner in their loft. “Our loft”...It just had a beautiful ring to it. She still couldn’t believe she was engaged to Wesley. The details of their reunion still brought back wonderful memories.


“Are you happy, my dear?” Wes asked her. He was still in shock at the events that had lead to this year. He was finally going to be wedded. It couldn’t get any better than that.


“So very happy, my love, I still can’t believe in just a few short months we will finally be married.” She reached across the table and took Wes’s hand in hers. “Thanks for agreeing to wait until I finished school. I want my full attention on this one fantastic day.”


“Anything you want, Liz. You know my only wish is that you are happy. That’s all I ever wanted of you.”


This past year following Wes’s proposal was met with its share of changes. With Liz in school full time, Wes had to find some to keep himself busy and able to support them. He didn’t feel right having Dmitri pay for their rent. He was still a bit skeptical as to what his true motives were for his generosity.  So, with that he went and applied for a job at the Musee d’Orsay, one of the many museums in Paris. His French was slowly coming along, so he was able to speak with the museum director. He took a liking to Wes immediately and hired him on the spot. Wes’ knowledge of specific time periods and cultures made him a great candidate for them. He thankfully shook the man’s hand and rushed home to give Liz the good news.






Liz wasn’t yet home from classes, so he set about making them dinner.







 In the midst of the preparations, the phone rang. It was Liz, she sounded happy. “Wes, I have invited Dmitri over for dinner. I thought this would be a great time for you two to meet. Is that alright?” While this came as a shock to Wes, he didn’t want to be the rain cloud on this nice evening so he agreed. It would give them a chance to talk and found out more about this Dmitri. “Yes, Liz that would be fine, I have some good news as well I want to share with you. I’ll just set another place for him.” Wes sensed relief in her voice as she said, “Thanks my love. I am sure you guys will really hit it off.” She blew him kisses on the phone and hung up.


Wes set about preparing another spot for their guest and thought this might not be so bad. If Liz liked him and thought as much of him as she did, he must be a nice guy. So, he was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.



The table is set, food is prepared and the wine is being chilled, when Liz and Dmitri walk in.  They are chatting happily about school and the coming graduation.







We is immediately taken in by Dmitri’s air of confidence. He could see why Liz would be so drawn to him. He tried not to let the jealousy get the best of him. They were only friends after all.



Wes walked over and shook Dmitri’s hand. “So, you are Dmitri, I have heard so much about you. I want to thank you for taking such good care of Elizabeth while she was here. I don’t know what we would have done without you.”







“It was my pleasure to assist Liz. She is such a wonderful woman. You are very lucky to have found each other. She has spoken very highly of you Wes.  I feel as if I have known you for a very long time. She has told me you two are engaged. May I offer my sincerest congratulations? You two, as I am sure, will have many years of continued happiness.” Dmitri had a quick look of sadness in his eyes but his countenance quickly changed as he proposed a toast in their honor. “To Wesley and Elizabeth, may happiness and prosperity follow you throughout your days, and may your home be filled with the sounds of children and love.” With that they drank their wine.



“I am sure you both must be hungry. Studies can be tiresome and boring. Am I right?”Wes asked smiling. They all proceeded to the kitchen table, which was set up beautifully. “Oh Wesley, everything looks so great. You didn’t have to go through so much trouble.” Liz again kissed him on the cheek as he held the chair out for her. “It was no trouble. I have some news I wanted to share with you and I thought it would be nice to include your friend.”


They all were seated at the table as they passed the food around. They talked of Paris history, Liz and Dmitri’s weeks here until finally it was Wes’s turn. “I have applied at the Musee d’Orsay and they have agreed to hire me. They were so happy with my knowledge of history and different cultures they thought I would make an excellent addition.  And while I appreciate your offer, Dmitri to help us by providing this house for us, I really must insist that I make the necessary payments.”







“Wes that is wonderful news, I am so happy for you. I know you will be happy there. He always was a book worm. Loved anything historical, or digging in the dirt looking for artifacts.” She responded in a jesting fashion.  She looked over at Wes with much love in her eyes though. 



After a fine dinner they retired to the living room where they continued to chat about Dmitri’s childhood and how he came to know Liz. Wes kept getting the feeling that he was leaving some parts of his story out. He thought it odd, but didn’t pry. We all have something we don’t want people we just met to know. All in all it was a good night. Wes felt foolish for worrying so much about this young man. After chatting about Dmitri and his past, they moved on to what kind of wedding Liz wanted. As Wes and Liz discussed Dmitri sat back and watched the two talking. He felt a tinge of guilt at what he tried to do to these two.







Dmitri while, genuinely happy for these two couldn’t help but wonder about the deal that was made all those many years ago. Surely it wouldn’t matter now that Wesley and Elizabeth were together. He could see the unconditional love that was shared between Wes and Liz and knew there wasn’t anything that could tear them apart. Their love was much too strong and with that he began to speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment